Saturday, July 08, 2006

Sweetness.


love
I get so lost, sometimes
days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
but whichever way I go
I come back to the place you are

all my instincts, they return
and the grand facade, so soon will burn
without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside

in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches

- "In Your Eyes", Peter Gabriel


Tonight Jill told the story of the start of her relationship with Adam. I know both of them, so as she told it, I re-enacted the two of them in my mind. He pursued her for many months, ironclad in his faith that they would be great together. But she had reservations, so for months he stayed madly in love and she resisted.

Then after many months, he declared that he was going to stop insisting and agreed to just be friends with her, and talked about how much he still valued the friendship. This melted my heart, because it's a rare man who actually will hold dear to a friendship with a woman who turns him down.

THEN she changed her mind and they had a date. She told us about the first time that he held her, and the sweet sweet things that he said. "You are my dream girl" was just the beginning.

I imagined Adam, that reserved engineer who was too private to even tell us which suburb he lives in, gushing these unbelievably sweet things, and WOW. My heart was beyond melted. There was a big puddle in my chest cavity where my heart used to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vowed to be your friend, when you turned me down... does that mean we still have a chance?

Anonymous said...

how come you could publish others' own story....

Anonymous said...

"In Your Eyes" has wonderful lyrics.

If you replace all instances of "eyes" with "thighs", you maintain the same rhyme and yet give the song a whole new, profound meaning.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You dream a lot. Although life will be happy for you, all this "smoochy" is perhaps a bit childish.
I hope you disguised your friend's names to preserve their privacy...