Sunday, March 12, 2006

Brunch with Tommyknockers.

I drove over to my brother's Stanford dorm room at noon to pick him up for brunch. Several rounds of knocks on his door went unanswered. Where was he?

After searching for him fruitlessly throughout the dorm and dining hall, I got back in my Honda and began heading home. Just as I pulled out of the parking lot, my phone rang.

Me: Hello?

Tom: [very groggy] Ohhh, I'm sorry, I just woke up. Are you still around?

Me: Yes. [straining not to ask whose room he spent the night in, since it wasn't in his own room]

Tom: Okay, I'm going to shower and then bike over. Just stay put.

Ten minutes later, Tom emerges, laden down with a heavy backpack.

Tom: I worked for 16 hours yesterday and it was raining hard, so I just slept in the computer science building.

So my brother's secret lover turned out to be ... the computer lab.




We eat at California Cafe, a high-ceilinged restaurant with delightful bread and eggs.

Tom: I saw that video you had about the coffee commercial. I watched it five times in a row.

Me: Yeah! Me too.

Tom: It's so much like our parents. I can just imagine one day, my kid will be in the World Cyber Games tournament. Dad will show up and say, "He's better than you, Tom." I'll say "How would you know?" and he'll pull out a faded photo of me playing Counter-Strike: "You used rail gun."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha .. very funny .. i suppose in that case, the father would come in with a can of red bull, and shout "don't be a **** camper!", then turn around and shout "my grandson pwns!"

Argrow Images said...

Hey, it's really nice video.