Monday, October 31, 2022

Antarctica!

I'm going to Antarctica in a month!

I previously tried to go in 2009, but that boat sank before my trip. (All the passengers were rescued.)

When friends hear of my Antarctica plans, their reactions are divided. Some immediately say it is a dream of theirs. Others say it sounds cold and unappealing. There are few reactions in the middle. 

I started packing already and reading about historical expeditions to Antarctica. 

Currently I am reading about the Belgica ship from 1897. To my surprise, there was mutiny, mass firing, and the ship getting stranded on rocks before they even rounded past Argentina. 

I have also been binging Great Courses audiobooks in the past month. My favorites were about the Berlin Wall, Japan, the Civil Rights movement, and Beethoven.

I will download so many audiobooks for the days at sea through the Drake Passage!

6 comments:

lahosken said...

I've enjoyed reading the https://brr.fyi/ blog about living in Antarctica, including a tour of a wastewater treatment plant.

Peter Norvig said...

Hi Niniane,

Kris and I are leaving for Antarctica this Friday! We're going a bit earlier, so we will be a bit colder, but it sounds like we're all equally excited!

-Peter

N said...

Thanks for this Antarctica blog link! It is interesting to read about the two-factor auth difficulties in Antarctica.

N said...

Hope you had an amazing Antarctica trip!

Our ship just got through the Drake Passage yesterday (it was very rough), and we had our first penguin hike.

Peter Norvig said...

Unfortunately, we spent a week in Porta Arenas, each day waiting for a break in the weather so that we could fly out, but the weather never cooperated and we ran out of time and had to go home without ever making it to Antarctica. We got a credit to try again next year.

N said...

The weather does seem to cause itinerary changes constantly down here! Our ship's schedule alters every few hours due to wind and ice.

Punta Arenas & Patagonia seems to have beautiful scenery itself. I would like to go do the O hike in that area someday. Good luck with your Antarctica flights next year!