Monday, September 12, 2022

walking 2023


I am increasingly captivated by the Camino de Santiago. It is a walk across Spain that was started in the 9th century by pilgrims.

The most popular route, the Camino de Frances, is 800km. You start at the border of Spain and France, and then walk westward across Spain. 

Over 100,000 people walk the route each year. I'd like to stay at the communal albergues (hostels devoted to walkers), so I'll need to wait until covid subsides more. 

The most appealing aspect is the endorphin rush. When I did survival school a decade ago, I felt ecstatic for hours each day from walking 15+ miles. It was probably runner's high, which I've never had while running. 

My fear is what if the endorphin rush doesn't happen? Then it'll be just drudgery, physical discomfort, and loneliness. 

However, it will be pleasant to see castles, forests, mountains and little quaint towns.  

1 comment:

Piaw Na said...

I also highly recommend England's Coast to Coast. I did it way back when and it's amazing. https://blog.piaw.net/2006/06/coast-to-coast-index.html. Just the guidebook itself is a work of art: https://blog.piaw.net/2005/11/coast-to-coast-walk.html