Monday, December 25, 2006

who protects against the protectors

I ate dinner with my cousin (and 27 other relatives) on Saturday. When she learned that I work at Google, she said, "Didn't an unfortunate thing just happen in the Google Beijing office last month?"

"What's that?"

"One of the female employees was raped and murdered by a security guard."

"What?" My eyebrows nearly flew off my head.

After additional rounds of conversation that pulled in three more cousins, we determined that it actually happened at Baidu, the Chinese search engine company that is a strong competitor for Google.

As soon as I got back to the hotel, I searched for it. I couldn't find it on Google News, and had to do three searches on Baidu before I found an article.

今年2月17日晚,王恒当值时得知公司女员工萍萍(化名)因加班留宿会议室。18日凌晨1时多,王在会议室门外脱光衣服,刷卡进门。当他去脱萍萍的衣服欲图谋不轨时,萍萍被惊醒。萍萍往外跑并大喊救命,王恒跟上去连砍数刀,致萍萍死亡。

In the evening of February 17 of this year, Han Wang was on duty when he learned that company employee Pingping (name changed) was sleeping in the conference room due to working overtime. After 1am on the 18th, Han stripped off his clothes outside the conference room, swiped his cardkey, and went inside.

When he removed Pingping's clothes with malicious intentions, he startled Pingping awake. Pingping ran outside loudly screaming for help. Han followed her and stabbed her numerous times, causing her death.


This sent shivers along my scalp. How many of us have slept in our company conference room (or in Google's case, massage room)? Many a time have I lauded the haven of the massage room: firm table to sleep on, blankets, aromatherapy candles. I consider it safer to sleep at work than in my own house, due to the cardkey-locked doors, security cameras, and of course the guards.

The security guard was only seventeen years old when he committed the crime.


新京报:据说事发时你在门外犹豫了很久,在想什么?
王:在想去还是不去。

新京报:最后是怎么下的决心?
王:不清楚,当时完全控制不住自己了。

新京报:判决书认定你欲图谋不轨,遇反抗后杀人,你觉得准确吗?
王:准确。

新京报:你交过女朋友吗?
王:交过一个。

新京报:事发时分手了?还是继续交往?
王:(一阵沉默)我不想回答。

Newspaper: Allegedly when the event happened, you hesitated outside the conference room door for a long time. Why?

Han: Making up my mind whether to go in or not.

Newspaper: In the end, how did you decide to do it?

Han: Not clear. At the time, I completely lost control over myself.

Newspaper: The court verdict says you attempted to take advantage, and after meeting resistance, killed the victim. Do you feel this is accurate?

Han: It's accurate.

Newspaper: Have you ever had a girlfriend?

Han: I've had one.

Newspaper: You split up after the event happened? Or you're still together?

Han: (a period of silence) I don't want to answer.

Full article in Mandarin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good reason to stop being a loser and actually go home. I always wonder about people who think they are so cool because they stay at work the whole time.

Unknown said...

我关注您很久了,我还是一名学生。您的文章一直对我很有吸引力,但是今天看了这篇文章我却感觉您这样做不是很妥当。
你把这样一个负面新闻放到这儿来不是很好吧,况且这个也不是想您的侄子说的那样刚刚发生的,而是过去很久了,你又何必这样特特地在这儿说一遍呢?您应该知道有很多人一直在关注看您的博客并已成为习惯,会有很多人看到你的这片文章的。
总之您似乎不应该这样做。



像您这样一个智者,不会认为我是什么百度的枪手吧?就像您不是google派来的枪手一样

N said...

To: Cucumber,

为何觉得我引用这篇文章不妥当? 只是为它是负面新闻吗? 我想说明大家应该谨慎一点儿, 不要认为公司总是安全的.

(Why do you feel that quoting this article was inappropriate? Just because it's a negative news article? I wanted to express that we should be alert, and not assume that it's always safe at the office.)

-Niniane

Anonymous said...

[to cucumber]:
我也习惯性地读王茜的blog。这篇新闻虽然是2月发生的事,但是这并不减轻事件的严重。希望所有人都在公司提高警惕。这篇新闻让我心都凉了!

(I also habitually read Niniane's blog. The cited news article is from February, but it does not detract from the seriousness of the situation. I hope everyone will be more cautious at their workplace. This news article gave me the chills!)

Seriously, wtf were they thinking hiring someone so young to be a security guard? Would you feel safe w/ a 17 year old guarding your company at night?

-x, disgusted