Wednesday, October 04, 2006

crush

Yesterday I searched for a chinese song "是否我真的一无所有" ("Do I truly have nothing left to me"), and the top youtube result was a rendition by a singer named 王啸坤. Turns out he was a contestant in a singing competition, the Chinese version of "American Idol".

By the end of the two-minute song, I had a crush. He sings with such emotion!

But don't just take my word for it.



I raved to Elad, who said, "You should email him. Hey, you never know."

"That's preposterous," I said.

Then I thought some more. "Instead I should contribute to Google China, and persuade them in return to hire him as the entertainer for one of their parties."

Today I googled for 王啸坤 and discovered that he's only 19 years old. Almost illegal. I felt dirty.

What makes us attracted to celebrities? My theory is that we develop an emotional closeness from seeing them in intimate situations: singing their heart out, crying in a movie scene, getting it on in a bedroom scene. We start to feel the bond from seeing them naked, emotionally (and perhaps physically). Then suddenly the movie credits roll, or the last chords of the song die out, and we are abruptly cut off.

It's the ultimate push-pull rubber band effect.

"Who do you think is the most popular celebrity right now?" I asked Dan. "I wonder if it's Paris Hilton or Britney Spears. Or Angelina Jolie."

We used Google Trends to find out. Way to go, Paris.

She doesn't fit my theory though. She hasn't starred in movies. Her music videos only came out recently, long after her fame stretched across the land. Any emotional connection generated by that sex tape can't have lasted for two years.

How do you do it, Paris?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not that the sex tape generated any emotion -- it's just that it was so damn hard to find the whole thing!

Anton Ng said...

My analogy is ... paris is like a car accident. We know it's gonna be horrible, but we are all curious to see.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you are searching for beauty in the wrong places, Niniane. The most beautiful people I know would not even register one hit on a Google trend.

Anonymous said...

Ha. I saw the post and was just about to leap in with a clever post involved car-accident syndrome, and I find I've been beaten by hours.

Sudhir syal said...

Its strange isnt it..

I dont even find her, that pretty.

Ok, maybe hot, but not really pretty. :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing to do with the post, but Niniane, do you know what happened with your friend Hassan from Montreal ?

Anonymous said...

amazing! I just searched for 王啸坤 through google news and got nothing, then I tried google blog search. I am so excited that I found someone who is attracted by 啸坤's song.

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.