Saturday, May 31, 2008

in which I identify an important deficit in the world we live in

Last night I saw the "Sex and the City" movie.


It was so good. I feel like a changed person. I'm going to get all the Sex and the City episodes from Netflix.

Yesterday I was talking to Megan, the Google personal trainer that I go to. In a Samantha-esque move, Megan saw a VIP preview of the movie three days before it opened.

Megan: "I identified with Samantha so much. When you see the movie, you'll know what I mean."

Me: "Tell me a line from the part you're thinking of, so I'll know when I get to it."

Megan: "At one point, she says to a guy, 'I love you, but I love me more.'"

Me: "Wait. You actually said those words last month."

Megan: "I know."

Photo from a party last year, when Megan spent 45 minutes telling me about getting a colonic:


The world needs more people like Samantha and Megan. They are cheerful. They clearly articulate their needs. They're fun to be around. How can we make this happen?

Megan should write a book "How to be Like Me". I wouldn't buy it, but I'd encourage other people to.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

QED: You and Ayn Rand could have been consumate girly pals. Another life, another time.

Unknown said...

"It was so good. I feel like a changed person. I'm going to get all the Sex and the City episodes from Netflix."

Wow, that is quite an endoresement. You don't seem like a "Sex and the City" fan type. I'm trying to think who you are most like or identify with...

I think men would love more Samatha's in the world!

So you wouldn't buy a book a friend bought to support your friend?

Unknown said...

So I just got back from seeing the movie. I guess you really didn't watch much of Sex and the City in the past... nothing terribly new or different from the show. The movie was entertaining, good, funny, but not *great*, and a bit long...As one reviewer said, it's like Indiana Jones 4 - you know what you are going to get.

Anonymous said...

i am a long time fan of your blog.
me too, i was guessing which character you identify with the most.
hmmm, maybe Carrie?

Jeremy said...

For some reason, I think you're too smart for this show.

Anonymous said...

That line is also from the episode where they all go to Atlantic City with Samantha's hotelier boyfriend. And she keeps thinking that he's going to cheat on her.

Anonymous said...

Niniane, we're to assume that you're being facetious, right? (I'm down w/ the show, especially Cynthia Nixon, but the movie?!?)

N said...

No, I am being serious. The movie was great.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for responding! In that case, I'll check it out, even though the reviews are quite mixed (e.g., Ebert & the NYT). Have an excellent weekend!

Anonymous said...

A lovely post, its like friend of mine that stays back in my hometown. I dont want to have a life similar to his at all, but I will advise all the dates to go through life with him, great pal, great partner etc. Just if You become a waste after the story, dont blame me. Lol.

Anonymous said...

Of course at age 51, Samantha is still alone and childless, too. I think her philosophy works if her life goal truly is merely self gratification and self interest. Samantha's narcissism has always seemed a bit extreme, but also a useful cautionary metaphor. If life's happiness also includes sharing a life successfully long term with a partner and having children, then Samantha's philosophy also demonstrates why this has not happened for her character. She does not lament this outcome at all, so it seems to truly be her choice for happiness. Will Megan also not lament such an outcome when she is still alone and childless at 51? Or will she be huddled with her cats wondering why "life was so unfair"?
-Xerxes Blue

Anonymous said...

Xerxes Blue - for one thing, not all women want to have children. Samantha, Megan - they don't necessarily need to be in a relationship not to feel lonely. Some of the most lonely people in the world are married...And this doesn't go just for women either.

One thing about Sex and the City the movie as well as the series in general is that there is very little reference to any siblings, parents, relatives, etc. in the four women's lives - which is I think not realistic at all. I think only one episode deals with their family at all - Miranda's mother's funeral.