Sunday, December 23, 2007

it was still faster than 40 days

At Burning Man in August, as I huddled on the desert plain during a sandstorm, I decided that I wanted to travel more and see my family more. This holiday season, we're traveling together in Madrid and Paris.

Our flight out of Philadelphia last night was delayed by five hours, as technicians switched out the cockpit door. I slept during the delay, and throughout the ensuing seven-hour flight to Madrid. Upon arrival:

Tom: "I can't wait to get off this plane. They only served drinks once, seven hours ago. I'm parched!"

Me: [very amused] "I've never heard anyone say that, except a talking plant in a cartoon."

... getting off the plane ...

Tom: "I can't believe we've been traveling for 24 hours. Why does it take this long, just to get from one side of the world to the other?"

Me: "Tom, it used to take a lot longer. There's a book 'Around the World in Eighty Days'."

Tom: "Well, we didn't even go around the world! We only went halfway around!"

...

We checked into our hotel, and Tom has been napping for the past four hours, curled in a ball. Awww.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom is a d!ck.

windenntw said...

niniane, while at spain don't forget to try out the "jamon serrano" and the "caña de lomo", they are a bit pricey but you can get in on any supermarket instead of a bar.

ArC said...

I think you can get jamón serrano in America... it's jamón ibérico that has been impossible (till like this year or possibly next, I can't remember which) to obtain in America.

(I loves me some ham.)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and your anecdotes about Tom. Have an enjoyable trip!

Anonymous said...

Don't eat the ham, Niniane! It could have been made out of the pet pig you didn't get around to buying!

Anonymous said...

You claim to be Chinese and you want to see more of your family so you decided to go to Madrid and Paris? I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

12/24/2007 4:24 AM: She is on vacation traveling with her brother and parents, like she has in the past many times (as previously posted on her blog)

Anonymous said...

Hey, no ass kissing from John K Lin?

Anonymous said...

he's probably cleaning his nose.. he'll be back.

Anonymous said...

Who are these trolls on your blog?

Anonymous said...

.


Merry Christmas !!

To my good friend by proxy.

:-)

Hope you are not offended by the politically incorrect comment.


.

Anonymous said...

aw, you have your own little obsessive troll. How cute!

Given the nature of the obsession, I'd guess this particular wee troll is an aAsian guy who can't get a date. Too bad he's anonymous. I'm sure a lot of women (maybe even white ones!) would be all over him given the wit and perseverance he displays in his comments here.

N said...

re: winden. Thank you for the recommendation. I ate some kind of jamón today, and it was pretty good.

re: "It could have been made out of the pet pig you didn't get around to buying!" -- LOL.