Friday, November 25, 2005

Post-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving

Today I woke up at 11:55am (before noon!). We ate lunch at the Paris buffet, then visited the Wynn Collection.

The Wynn Collection is a beautiful dark blue room with 10 paintings, followed by a red room with 5 paintings. An audio track describes each masterpiece. There were 3 Picassos (two of his 22-year-old mistress, painted when he was 51), a Matisse still-life of a woman in a Persian robe (Peter's favorite), a Monet water lily scene, and my favorite -- a Renoir painting of a woman in her garden.

I learned from the audio track that Picasso started painting when he was 7. He never used posed models, but instead painted his mistress who is also his muse.

When we got home, Peter popped in a DVD. "You'll like this. It's about a writer."

The movie is Secret Window, a suspense movie. I jump every few minutes as the antagonist looms out of shadows during ominous music. Halfway through, I get so scared that Peter has to come and hold me.

The movies I find most frightening are ones that depict people in their own houses, being assulated by spirits or robbers, because I can relate to it happening. This movie was one of those.

"I can't believe you! A movie about a writer? That's like saying, 'Honey, you like houses, right? Let me show you this movie. It's called Poltergeist'!"

A quarter of the way into a movie, I whispered to Peter my theory to explain the plot -- the antagonist is a figment of the protagonist's imagination. A little while later, I amended it to add that the bodyguard was another figment of the protagonist's imagination.

Tom: "I don't believe it! I'll bet you a dollar."

Me: "Okay, a dollar betting that the essence of my theory is correct."

We shake on it.

At the end of the movie, dramatic twists reveal that indeed the protagonist and antagonist are the same person.

Me: Haha, I win!

Tom: No, your amendment was wrong.

Me: The essence was correct!

Tom: That's - that's like saying the essence of the Constitution doesn't include the Amendments!

Me: That's right!

Tom: Fine, then you just lost yourself the right to vote.

... Moments later...

Peter: What movie should we watch next? The Mexican? Braveheart?

Me: I hate Braveheart! When he marries his wife, he swears he's never going to love another woman. Then what does he do? He knocks up that other woman!

Tom: His wife died!

Me: So? He said he's going to love her forever. There was no clause about dying!

Tom: Except the vow ends with 'till death do us part'.

No comments: