Friday, August 01, 2014

One scone to rule them all

There is a British afternoon tearoom a block from my office.  I went there last week with two colleagues, Yuichi and "Sig".



Yuichi: "Are you guys going to dinner after this?"

Me: "No, who can eat dinner right after afternoon tea?  We're not hobbits, Yuichi."

Sig: (raises hand) "I'm going to dinner right after this."

Then Sig left early to go eat an 18-course meal over the next four hours.

...

Afternoon tea is so pleasant at a hungry time-of-day.  Recently I have acquired several teapots.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Hobbits never had to worry about cardiovascular disease, I think I would volunteer to be a Hobbit without a moment's hesitation...

Toasty, warm scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam every single afternoon? Washed down with a pot of strong, perfectly brewed tea? Organized Assembler...

Let them make fun of my stature, or the hairy tops of my feet. I'll be dancing a jig on their solemn graves, licking the maple glazed, oven braised pork belly from my fingers and thinking fondly of the chilled key lime pie that awaits my return. Life is good...

--Ms. Underhill