Tuesday, October 30, 2012

sherlock

I am obsessed with the BBC show "Sherlock". An acquaintance said that the character Sherlock Holmes has Aspergers.

Sherlock demonstrates low empathy. He has a photographic memory. He can identify all the symptoms of love (dilated pupils, elevated heart rate) but he doesn't say "I love you". There is one woman he is closest to, and he's content with never speaking to her again, as long as she is still alive in the world somewhere.

 I am really intrigued by Sherlock Holmes! I wonder if it is because Silicon Valley idolizes the archetype of the brilliant arrogant immature founder, driven toward utilizing his talents. Sherlock doesn't even care about getting paid. He doesn't want to get famous via Watson's blog. He doesn't care about his personal sacrifice, or endangering his own life. He just wants to do what he's good at. He's just like the dream Silicon Valley founder for VCs!

2 comments:

narula said...

I'm watching this show too and last night I was thinking about SV types might glorify Sherlock for being so clever, single-minded, and unemotional when he's a jerk who is mean to people!

If you like this you should watch House.

narula said...

I'm watching this show too and last night I was thinking about SV types might glorify Sherlock for being so clever, single-minded, and unemotional when he's a jerk who is mean to people!

If you like this you should watch House.