Thursday, January 17, 2013

compare down

At survival school, they taught us to compare down.

Let's say it's very cold and you are sleeping on the ground, on a bed of pine needles.  You are shivering.  If you think to yourself, "I could be at the Four Seasons right now", you're going to feel depressed.  But if you think "At least it's not raining", then you'll feel better.



I was pretty good about doing this at survival school.  It rained for 16 hours during my first day of solo, and I reflected on the relief that I made the tree shelter before washing clothes, so the shelter was ready by the time it started to rain.

It is a good thing to remember in our modern world!

2 comments:

DaWay said...

One of my favorite lines from young Frankenstein when they are in a cemetery digging up a grave.
Marty Feldman quotes
“It could be worse... It could be raining”
At that exact moment lightning strikes and a torrential down pour commences
I hope that Ninaine has better luck :-)

Soulbro said...

Is that a man or woman?