Friday, October 17, 2008

germans being funny

In the Google Munich office. I'm temporarily sitting in an office with two German engineers.

Me: [dialing a number into the phone] "Hello? Oh, I'm sorry. I got the wrong number."

Munich Googler #1: [overhearing] "Did you dial 7 to get to an outside line?"

Me: "Yes, but it didn't work. I'm trying to call this number: 4916..."

Munich Googler #1: "Replace 49 with 0. You are in Germany, so you don't need the top-level namespace."

Munich Googler #2: "Why don't you just say 'Don't dial the country code' like a normal person?"

Munich Googler #1: [confidently] "This is more understandable."

I thought it was cute.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Being Dutch I find the title of this post completely uncomprehensible. Dutch, English and I guess most Europeans think Germans lack a sense of humor or to say the least are very good at conceiling it.

So, the title triggered me to read the post and well it gave me a faint smile, but the story does not contradicts the statement I amde above.

Unknown said...

Hey...we Germans are funny! Well..sometimes...;-) But I think it's quite funny. Referring to it as top level namespace is pretty cool ;D Always thought there are only 'freaks' at Google ;-)

Anonymous said...

Germans can be funny but they are really afraid to offend someone.

(I'm also Dutch)

Anonymous said...

heh it's weird though; in the US, we DO dial our TLN of "1".. are we the only country to do so?

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Niniane, if Obama were single would you consider boning him? Be honest!!!

Pierre said...

anonymous just gave me a great laugh in the niniane will you marry me series, i have to admit :-)
I guess it would be roughly equal to endorsing him for most commenters
---
I guess most Europeans think Germans lack a sense of humor or to say the least are very good at conceiling it.

>> It's just more subtle. You may have not even noticed it :-)